20 August 2008

first real cross ride

Cyclocross ride # 1 and I wreck my rear Eurus wheel. Well, not totally wrecked, but managed to wreck at least one non-drive spoke and knock the wheel out of true by a good inch plus.

This all happened on the Friend of a Friend's Cross Practice out at Bryant Park in Bloomington. Good course design be Ped. Love the off camber sections. If you haven't been to one of these yet (there've been two) then you need to get your act together and show up next time.

About 20 minutes in I was totally worked. Ped and DC still had juice in them but lucky for me there was a cop just hanging around the park so we decided to keep a low profile for the remainder of practice and work on the double barriers at the far end of the course. I think we later realized that we weren't actually getting stalked by the Bloomington PD, but that the cop was most likely just keeping an eye out for marijuana cigarette use.

Anyway, it was while practicing re-mounts that I managed to chunk the rear wheel. I was trying hard to commit the running jump up onto the saddle only the one time I got high enough and sans stutter step I over-committed and floated beyond the sweet spot just over the saddle and shoved my left foot into the rear wheel. How? I have no idea. I think I just wasn't minding the feet. Lesson learned. And hey, at least I didn't land on my nuts.

1 comment:

Christopher Smith said...

at least I didn't land on my nuts.

Way to go! There is always a silver lining.