20 October 2008

scientific experiment

Water.
During cross racing, some believe it to be unnecessary, others believe otherwise.
Last weekend out at Ham Lake I could have probably done without. At Wirth, I went without but wished desperately that I'd had it available.

There's also A's perspective; I've asked her to do water hand-ups for me at the races I've done this year. But she enjoys watching the race and wants the freedom to walk around and see the different parts of the course: barriers, potential mud, obstacles, etc. Having to hang out at the water pit pretty much means she has to work during my race instead of enjoying herself checking things out.

What to do?

I'll tell you what to do. Well, I'll tell you what I'm going to try out during an experiment. There is such a thing called a fuelbelt (click on the link... I know; holy christ, right?). Tri-dorks wear these things when they're running. It's basically a gimmicky-type product that gives you access to a collection of small (8oz) water bottles that you can wear in a belt like grenades rather than having to carry by hand a regular water bottle. I've tried one of these things running, but the tension of the belt around my belly just makes me need to go poop mid-run -- not exactly convenient.

BUT, having one of these bottles with me during a cross race might not be such a bad idea. Instead of donning the stupid belt, I'd simply slide one of these bottles into my left jersey pocket. The bottles flattened dimensions and small size should give me enough water with which to have a quick drink at those two or three junctures during the race when I'm dying for it, without too much of a weight penalty AND without sacrificing A's freedom of movement at the race.

I'm excited to try it out as I think it's going to turn out to be an awesome idea. We'll see how it goes at Lake Elmo.

Btw, you should come out and see some racing.
It's totally awesome.

Seriously.
I'll send you directions.

4 comments:

Christopher Smith said...

Let me know how that works out for you.

BTW, why are you telling your only reader that I should come out to watch you race since I will already be out there anyway?

Meow said...

I will BE there!

The Beans said...

When is this?

v10 said...

smithers - thanks for bringing me back down to earth!

meow - hooray!

beans - Sunday at lake elmo, will send you directions!