07 September 2008

the state fair: a pictorial remembrance

I love the fair because I love the food.
If you think about it, it's gross... yet, so tasty.

So bad for me.
But, did I mention tasty?

The people watching is OK; folks have said the fair is great for this sort of thing. I say it ain't any different than anywhere else in the Midwest except for the fact that it's all in one place. So I guess it's OK for people watching.

In any case, let us dally no longer and embark upon this journey of remembrance...

Beer at the fair: how could you not? It isn't good. Mine was flat; the bartender handed it to me mumbling something about a "keg change," and "sorry..." I did my part and drank the flat beer. Thirst quenching!




I ate fries. Twice. This was the better of the two stands.




I also ate corn twice. The corn is terribly delicious. Grilled right there at the fair and then dipped in a vat of melted butter (seriously, I think they use an old oil drum). The ear of corn is handed to you, at times still quite hot, dripping with buttery goodness. Make sure you remember the toothpick, though! It sucks walking around the rest of the day trying to pick stubborn bits of corn from your teeth with only your tongue and oral suction. It can be as frustrating as trying to pick up a fork with your elbow. Just the one. Perhaps the best part of the corn is that they provide massive compost bins just beyond the corn stand. From the earth we come and to the earth we return...

What would a trip to the fair be without adventure? Part of the culinary adventure is trying "new" foods that are introduced each year. This year brought about a score of previously unknown food combinations. Among them were deep-fried smores




and a 1/3lb of bacon on a stick which I passed up for the chocolate dipped bacon




Notice Maj in the background, horrified at the sight. In all fairness, she is 87% vegetarian and not what you'd call a fan of red meats. To be fair to the bacon, however, I must say that it was delicious. Chocolate dipped and topped off with a light sprinkling of sea salt. Pretty much identical to chocolate-covered pretzels, but guaranteed to give you a heart attack by the age of 32.




Unfortunately not caught on film were my enjoyment of Hawaiian shaved ice, the corn, the warm, gooey cookies, the pizza, the cotton candy and a wee sample of turkey sandwich. I spent $60 in one afternoon in St. Paul and most every one is free of regret.


No comments: