07 September 2008

solo cross practice today

I warmed up riding over to A's house to say hello and see what the vegetable and bean stew smelled like brewing in the crock-pot (it smelled great). This was going to be a short ride with more than less intensity and as much off-road time as possible in the neighborhood. So I headed out to Lyndale which is currently a hard-pack dirt road from 38th to 50th. There are a few spots where I was able to simulate sandy sections, but for the most part it was quite tame.

My goal was to ride this "under construction" segment of Lyndale and then head south via Penn to 54th, which is in a similar state of dis-repair between the former avenue and Upton, before returning to the park next door for as many impromptu laps as my lungs could handle. Instead, I took a detour to an open park along 50th to practice dismounts and remounts on flat, grassy ground.

Our previous attempts at a flying remount ended with my left foot pressed awkwardly into my rear wheel and the destruction of two broadly bladed aluminum spokes. This time around I started with what I knew completing a dozen stunted laps of riding 30ft, dismounting, running 15ft and then hopping back on avec the notorious stutter-step. Step one was intended to get myself into the rhythm of things. Now it was time for step two.

Soon enough and without my intent the moment of zen hit me square in the crotch... But in the good way! "Hooray!" my mind squealed. I had landed in just the right spot to avoid anatomic catastrophe while sustaining forward momentum. I was delighted. The next lap went equally well, as did the third and fourth. By the tenth, I was ecstatic.

Out of breath and tired of riding in 50ft circles, I pulled off toward Harriet. Arriving at the park near my domicile, I churned out a few hard laps including two short and steep ascents, two fast downhill stretches and an equal number of paved portions. I also threw in a brief stair section to give myself an opportunity to embed the remounting lesson further into my subconscious.

All in all, the workout was a success. I arrived at my front door tired, a little sore and filled with a sense of accomplishment. A small one, to be sure, but an accomplishment nonetheless. Good bye stutter-step! Hello .00004 seconds of additional speed through a smoother transition!

No comments: