13 September 2008

2004

In the Fall of this year I was settling into the single life having recently split with my girlfriend of two and a half years. I hadn't been in the game for as many years and mine was totally off; I went on a handful of disastrously awkward dates with a Caribou Coffee barista before realizing I wasn't yet over the ex-girlfriend. I was also participating in my first political campaign during those Autumnal months with intent to do my part in dethroning king Bush. Unfortunately, these efforts met about as much success as did my dating exploits.

I had been living in the Twin Cities for a year plus and working at my current job for eight or nine months when my brother came to visit. I took him to breakfast at Al's in Dinkytown on the UofM campus where I first heard this record: Lucero's That Much Further West.




Even now, four years later, this record ushers memories of changing leaves, hot chocolate and cool crisp air into my conscious. This is one of maybe two dozen records to which I've never grown tired of listening. Lucero has put out a number of fantastic albums but this one is my favorite.

3 comments:

T3 said...

that's a good one. a friend from back in the day engineered Rebels, Rogues & Sworn Brothers.

sorry... i'm one of those name dropper types.

v10 said...

sweet!!

Wheezy said...

Dude, can I borrow that for a listen? Sounds great.