29 September 2008

phew, life slowly regains normalcy

Sitting in Primetime's living room, I finally have a chance to get some emailing, blogging and interwebbing done. What a week. Interbike is a experience to be sure.

I'm glad it's over for me for at least another year and I'm doing my best to relax a bit before heading home where a heaping load of work awaits my return to the office. My cross season will also start next weekend when I am back in the Twin Cities -- I am very excited.

I had dinner with Primtime, his wifey, and another couple they know once he and I returned from Vegas on Saturday evening. We had home-grilled steak strips with mushrooms and caramelized onions, baked sweet potato chips and an extraordinarily delicious peach/raspberry cobbler courtesy of Mrs. Primetime. I had two servings with ice cream. Yum!

Yesterday was all about a little rest and recuperation as well as some climbing in American Fork Canyon. The Primetime family and I enjoyed a tasty breakfast at a local spot (I ate French toast, scrambled eggs and bacon) and lazed at their domicile watching baseball. Then came the climbing excursion. We headed for the limestone crags American Fork for some cranking and, in my case, flailing. I haven't been tied into a rope for one year; the last time was with Primetime as well only we spent a few days on multi-pitch routes in Red Rocks, Nevada (just outside Vegas).

Needless to say, I was apprehensive about how I'd perform. It didn't take long to realize that virtually all of my climbing fitness is gone. To add insult to injury, my form seems to have also flown out the window. Embarrassing to say the least. I felt soft, slow, fat and weak. I couldn't top-rope the 5.10's we set up at the Escape Buttress. I felt like a tyrannosaurus rex; strong legs, useless arms. The silver lining was to be found in the comic relief provided by my flailing -- we all got a good laugh.

On the way back we stopped at the Hard Rock Wall where Primetime worked a 5.12b roof line. He has been getting strong the past couple of years making my lack of strength all the more glaring. Here he is cranking out the final moves of the route



"Sadly," there are no photos of me to share but if you can imagine a fatty with skinny arms sitting on a rope, you'll get the picture. C'est la vie. Time to go back to the gym!

No comments: